Today (or yesterday, really, because I’m posting this a little late) was not a very productive day for me – I’m not really even sure where the day went. But here are the few things that I did get done:
- I took the dog for a nice long walk.
- I read Shine by Lauren Myracle, which is a nominee for the Maryland Black-Eyed Susan Award. I wasn’t very impressed by it – it was a little too much of a Problem Novel, with the characters feeling a little flat outside of their Issues, and occasionally a little far-fetched that they could have such dramatically different personalities hidden under the surface, and not really reveal them before the book’s climax.
- I called my brother, who’s about to buy his first house – I think he closes on it tomorrow. Very exciting!
We had planned to go to a 4th of July barbecue today, but J hasn’t been feeling well so we bowed out and stayed home instead. So today was pretty quiet for me – here are a few of the things I did:
- Finished Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein, which was a really incredible book. I’d highly recommend it to anyone who likes historical fiction, spies, feminism, or intricate plots and writing. I’d heard a lot of hype about it, and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was even better than I’d heard.
- Picked the first jalapeños from our garden – and 10 of them at that. Anyone have any good recipes for hot sauce? It looks like our plant is pretty prolific this year.
- Brushed Daisy’s teeth, which I think we need to work on being a little more vigilant about – a couple of her teeth are looking like they could use some TLC.
Here are three accomplishments from today:
- I re-read my brother’s most recent novel, which he’s planning to start shopping to agents soon. (For anyone who’s interested, his website has details about his writing, including links to places you can read it online).
- I took the dog to the dog park, and managed to get back to my car a little after it started to rain, but a little before the torrential downpour began.
- I made myself a super-delicious salad for dinner (and also used up some greens that were on the verge of going bad).