Today was another very uneventful day for me, but I did get a few things done:
- I started my day off with yoga again. My hope is that eventually, this becomes routine – like starting my day off with brushing my teeth – and I won’t be posting about it any more. (Collective wisdom says it takes about three weeks to form a habit, although that might be bogus.) But right now, every day that I actually do it feels like a triumph – one more step along the road of forming that new habit.
- I seem to be cleaning our bathroom in stages right now. Today, I tackled our shower. Tomorrow, maybe the sink and the mirror?
- I made delicious (and simple) guacamole for myself for lunch today to use up an avocado, and mixed in some black beans to add a little protein.
Here’s what I tossed together:
- 1 avocado
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- Black beans (about 1/2 cup?)
- Salt and chipotle pepper to taste (maybe around 1/2 tsp salt and a few dashes of chipotle)
I mushed all of this together with a fork, then added 5-10 cherry tomatoes, sliced into quarters, and ate it with tortilla chips.
I spent most of today being a bum – reading things on the Internet, playing various games on my computer, and avoiding getting dressed. But I did manage to squeeze in a few actual accomplishments, too:
- I got up and did yoga again this morning! (I skipped yesterday morning, but I went for a long walk which kind of makes up for it.)
- I cleaned the toilet! And I plan to clean the rest of the bathroom in the next day or two – Internet, hold me accountable for this please. If I havent posted that it’s done by Wednesday, give me a hard time about it.
- I made a real dinner – Athenian Pasta Primavera. Which was pretty tasty, and relatively easy – definitely something I can add to our summer dinner rotation. I did have to substitute fresh basil for the mint, though, because the guy who mows our lawn mowed down our mint plant. (To be fair, though, I planted it in a patch of our yard that’s mostly weeds, so it probably wasn’t particularly clear that I actually wanted it to be growing there – especially since mint grows like a weed around here. We’ll see if it bounces back or not.)
Here’s what I was up to today:
- One of my goals for the summer is to get into an exercise routine, and today I finally started my day off with a pretty good yoga session. Hopefully I can make it part of my daily routine this summer and then keep it there when school starts up in the fall.
- J and I have always been pretty relaxed about our budget, because neither of us spend a lot of money. But we’ve got some financial goals to save up for (buying a house! taking a belated honeymoon! paying off J’s law school loans!), so one of my goals for the summer is to create a more detailed budget so that we can be working a little more actively towards these goals. So today I tracked down some of our fixed expenses and put them in a spreadsheet, and hopefully J and I will get around to finishing it up sometime this weekend.
- After all that hard work accomplishing things in the morning (or just out of general summertime laziness…) I spent most of the rest of the day watching Pretty Little Liars on Netflix streaming. Some of my students absolutely love the show, so it’s kind of for work? I mean, that really is the reason I picked it out of all the stuff that’s available to be watched. And overall, I’m enjoying it – it’s basically a soap opera crossed with a very drawn out slasher movie. Although I do have some major issues with most of the romantic relationships on the show. But that’s a post for another time, since I’m still working on pinpointing exactly what it is about them that I object to.